Wednesday, July 2, 2014


So I went to pride for the first time over the weekend... or rather kinda/sorta close to pride as I could without really experiencing it, in what could be best described as a derpy adventure.

Went up on Saturday afternoon and met with a couple of furs at a hotel in Civic Center, and helped oncoming furs up to room (due to elevator key-lock), as they all suited up, phone charging along with 'em, and went up along with another pride newbie fur,  to grab such as the rest headed out, with us trying to catch up, and running into other furs in the process while finding the main group (who happened to be right below us, waiting for the Muni subway to Castro).

After a bit of waiting/chatting with other furs and newfur wolf, we debated whether or not to just walk or follow the gang via Muni, before compromising and walking to another fur who happened to be driving in town (and, for whatever reason, we all decided would be a much faster option). This resulted in 2/3 hours of traffic, looking for a parking space, rage (understandable given driver's condition), and giving up and driving 30-some blocks down to a pizza and market down Mission (and trying a Sushiritto in the process). Wolf and I decided to make a trek on our own and attempt Munibus as the other driving furs decided to forego pride altogether and head to the other evening meet in the area. It was 7pm at the time, and personally frankly, with plans skewed from driving, figured why not wing it?

Wolf and I ended up waiting a good half hour before the bus came. I informed the main group about this and tried to coordinate in what can be best described as poor timing and miscommunication (as majority of group would be heading our way anyway, however this info was received upon entering said bus), and we both traveled towards Castro in a bit of a Sardine can, arriving around 8 to the sight of long lines of entry (for body checks). I called the main group again to follow-up and see about meeting up with them....only to find out they were waiting for the Muni line back to Civic Center. We both admit defeat and attempt to go back to the hotel, and Walking along the steep hills to Dolores park and the J Muni line, and waiting a bit half an hour for the the other direction (as, we both needed to go to BART; Wolf to head home, I for the evening game night meet, both of us aggravated). I did run into a fellow alumni from my high school my delightful chance, which helped improve the evening a bit as we waited and traveled a bit, sharing similar sentiments in general. The tram was heavily delayed and instead came along a shuttlebus substitute. With us three equally confused, and being mislead and Dropped off on 49 (29th?) street, around 9:00 or so.

Breaking down after a quick search for directions (which would've lead to walking several blocks alone in SF), and (Rather regretably) rage-tweeting in the process) as we all waited for a bus (eta 40 min) to dog knows where, an actual downtown-bound J Muni train arrives, and we all rush onboard, arriving at Civic Center around, by coincidence around the same time as the main group (as, apparently, the entire system had temporarily shut down). We proceeded to meet back at the hotel, cool and rest for a bit, before returning the the BARuni station, parting ways with Wolf, as a couple of furs and I, remaining from the main group pleasantly traveled along BART to Balboa for Game night, which went rather enjoyable and (much needed) relaxing, discussing with furs the philosophical ideas behind good and evil...which then turned into a discussion on cartoons. I was then asked to help spot a couple of suiters for the pride parade the following morning. I have never done such before, but in act of goodwill, good friendship, and up for the challenge, I accepted, and thus discussed and awakened early 7am (running on three hours of sleep and two cups of coffee) to help.

Spotting was easy than thought, and tried best double-checking with the collie and horse making sure all's well before, and during, the ride on a Munibus + BART to Embarcadero, handling fare and guiding thru crowds (reactions of which were amusing, with photo-ops a plenty, as we were in a hurry). Walking a couple blocks to find the Furry float, hidden amongst the more colorful crowd. At this point, and after a few greetings, I got message of having to return home, and rushed back. I was in a hurry, and to put it lightly, personal failure of communication and derps that left me feeling awful for overlooking. Thankfully, such was resolved as much as it could, but I do feel compelled to compensate and make up for the mistake.

All-in-all, the last weekend was definitely not as expected, but hey, fun to chat about after the fact. I'm kinda used to random, unexpected adventures at this point in my (youngish) life. Had fun hanging and helping several furs, and really can't beat a visit to San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment