Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Bayside Adventure

So, with the week be coming to a close, I have concluded my travels and have returned back to the little village/encampment known as the People's Republic of Davis. Overall, I'd say my time there would be best explained as... varied and quite the adventure.

Day one - Tuesday

To begin, I left Fresno all prepped and ready to go... save for one thing - midway through the journey to San Jose, I realized that I had left my phone charger with relatives back in F-town. With the Blackberry blinking yellow, I shut it off setting forth to get a replacement charger once in the Silicon Valley.

I was completely unprepared for the upcoming weather - bringing only a light jogging jacket, so upon arrival (and purchasing in advance a ticket home), I walk through the streets unprotected from the pouring rain, going through my options. I first stumble upon a CVS, which, much to my disappointment, only carried Apple products. So then I set my direction to downtown and grab a ride on the VTA train, and proceed to walk around, looking around, and starting to feel a bit delirious (most likely from the rain, either that or mild dehydration), so I take a quick refuge in a Pizza place, grabbing dinner in doing so, and checking out the bus routes to my relative's place in adjacent Santa Clara.

After grabbing a quick bite, I continue my trek under the now-dry skies and discover a Walgreens, and gleefully purchase a $10 phone charger. Realizing the time, I walk to the street where, Ideally my bus would be, and quickly board it... going in the wrong direction, ending up by a sandwich shop next to San Jose State(?), and having to wait 30 minutes for the next bus in the right direction. Seeing opportunity to try and charge my phone, I walk into the sub shop and do just that... for 5 minutes when the charger I bought blew out, barely even charging my phone as it starts to pour again. After a while, and seeing the bus arrive and stay motionless, doors closed, for 10 minutes, before allowing me in. The bus ride itself was rather uneventful, and I miraculously arrived into my relative's place safe and sound.

 Day Two - Wednesday

I guess, you could say that my first day was... rather unlucky. I ended up blowing 1/3 of my budget, and instead of exploring more of the area the following day, I mostly stayed put in my relative's tiny, highly-cramped studio.

Well, okay, I didn't stay inside the whole day (I never can stay inside for long periods - I get cabin fever easily). I walked 30 minutes to a shopping center to see if I can get a replacement to the replacement charger (redundant, I know). First, I stop by a Sprint store, covering the 'AT&T' insignia on my Blackberry. They offered an 'all-in-one' for $40; too rich for my blood, so I head over to the AT&T to see if they had a better price, which they did... $10 less but still costly. I head on over to a Safeway across the sea of parking lots to see if they had anything for phones (They did - Go phones, but no chargers). As a last resort, I walk to the adjacent Marshall's for the off chance that they'd have something relevant. To my luck, I had found a better charger for a ridiculously cheap price ($5) and gleefully walked back to my temporary place.

 Day Three - Thursday

Thursday was the big(ish) day for me. I have heard about Chicken (one of the major meets in the Bay) for months and have been wanting to go for a long while, but given my distance and that is fell on a School night, I have been unable to go. Since this was Spring Break, I took advantage to get, pardon the pun, a taste of chicken.

After a quick research through on Google maps for bus routes and ride arrangements back (thanks again if ye be reading this), I was on my way, and quick! Running to catch the bus, and missing my intended stop by several blocks. No worries though, as I was on the same street, was well early, and hey, there's nothing bad with more exercise!

Overall, I enjoyed Chicken - both the meat and the meet. It was fun meeting all (or most) of the furs in the area, and frankly, I was a bit surprised with how many new me despite me barely knowing them - one of the most common responses I got after greeting was more or less "I've heard of you from BAF" despite me seldom posting on the mailing list. All-in-all, 'twas a great time socializing beneath a fierce lightning storm.

 Day Four - Friday

The final day, Friday the 13th, more-or-less lived up to its name. I slept in and missed my original 9 am train, a minor setback, just go on the next one around noon. After much packing and double-checking to make sure nothing was lost in the clutter, I catch the bus with an hour to go until departure.

Slow bus be slow, I arrive 5 blocks from Diridon Station... with 10 minutes until departure. Instinctively, I ran -- nay, I sprinted, rushing across the the parking lot with the boarding announcement of my train blaring out. Despite severe pain surging thru my sore legs, I dashed thru the station, under the tracks, and right onboard, literally at the last minute, and crashed, exhausted, onto an empty seat.

The rest of the trip went uneventful. Having skipped breakfast I grabbed lunch in the Cafe car and rested in my seat, up until Oakland, where we were all told to evacuate the train and head into the Station. Apparently there was a standoff in Jack London Square a block north and police were on the scene, blocking the tracks in the process. We were held inside the station (simply put, because it was cold out) awaiting for buses to carry us over to Emeryville and continue our journey on a train parked over there. After an hour of waiting, and hearing of the scene being cleared, the buses arrive and we were safely and swiftly transported to the stuck train, continuing the journey rather (thankfully) uneventfully and eventually arriving back home, safe and sound.

Overall, I'd say this week has been quite the adventure. Frankly, I think I'll stay put for now; I be tired of traveling... at least for the near future.

Anyways, if you've managed to go through this huge wall of text, then I must congratulate you! And until next time...

Hasta Marfle!

No comments:

Post a Comment